[Mailman-Users] Problems using Postfix with Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 3 20:55:35 EDT 2016

On 05/03/2016 04:50 PM, Christopher Adams wrote:

> In the maillog file, I get NOQUEUE: reject RCPT from localhost [::1] 454
> 4.71 <my.address at mydomain.com>: Relay access denied; from=<
> mylist-bounces at mymailmanserver.com>
>
> In the Mailman smtp-failure log file, I get: "Relay access denied"
>
>>From all that I have read, it must be a Postfix configuration problem, but
> since I just moved the old main.cf to the new server, I am perplexed. Posts
> to the Postfix-Users list has not been productive.

Right, and the problem is you didn't change the postfix main.cf to match
the RedHat/CentOS change in /etc/hosts.

The issue is that mailman is sending to 'localhost', /etc/hosts is
defining localhost as the IPv6 address [::1], and this is not in
mynetworks in main.cf. There are various ways to fix this including
replacing the localhost entry in /etc/hosts - something like

::1	localhost

with

127.0.0.1  localhost

or adding [::1]/128 to mynetworks in main.cf.