[Mailman-Users] delay between delivery to mailman post command and sending out to list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 27 09:47:41 EDT 2016

On 07/26/2016 11:19 AM, Nicolas wrote:

> The Mailman "post" log file /var/log/mailman/post does not indicate the message being posted, until the message is finally being sent out up to one hour after the post.

This is expected. It's not written until the message is sent.

> However, the list’s archives, as well as the list’s digest.mbox file, DO contain the posted message immediately after posting, confirming that Mailman did instantly receive the message from Postfix.

Mailman's 'out' queue is backlogged. (I really need to write a FAQ on
this <sigh>).

You can tell because of the above and there will be several files in
Mailman's qfiles/out directory and the entries in Mailman's 'smtp' log
will be continuous, i.e. the timestamps of each entry will be x seconds
after the previous one where x is the "completed in n.nnn seconds" value.

> Would running separate, verbose instances of qrunner possibly give me any insight, and how should I go about this? Any input is appreciated.

Multiple, sliced OutgoingRunner processes might help, but the real issue
is it takes too long for Mailman to deliver to Postfix due to Postfix
configuration. In my production installation with full VERP, Mailman
delivers to about 20 or more recipients per second.

See <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030636>, although a lot of that is
outdated, but do note all the stuff on disable_dns_lookups.