[Mailman-Users] Filtering out Digest replies

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jul 12 22:00:19 EDT 2016

Jim Popovitch writes:
 > On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 3:04 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
 > > is something you should look at before deciding to stay with a product
 > > after end-of-line.
 >
 > Doesn't this list traffic and interest prove that mm2x is nowhere near
 > end of life?   I mean the interest is here, should that be actively
 > discouraged?

Note that I very carefully avoided the term "end of life".  LISP lives!
(though it has long since been title-cased).

The interest that matters is not in being a v2.1 user -- we know about
that.  It's in providing support to v2.1 users.  Mark's is waning
(aside from repeatedly stating that 2.1 releases are not going to
continue for much longer, he's already supporting 3.x lists for at
least two organizations and seemed to be enjoying himself hugely at
the sprint on Mailman 3 at PyCon).  I'm definitely committed to
Mailman 3, and I'm finding the time I spend on this list a burden.
All the other developers have long since found the exit.

Whose interest in this task is waxing?  I'm not going to say that
user-supported software whose core developers have moved on can't work
(eg, qmail), but it's rare.  And this particular thread requires a
programmer to hack on it.  Are there volunteers?

If not, the way forward is Mailman 3.  Of course those who are
perfectly satisfied with Mailman 2 can keep using it, and keep
supporting each other with tips about regexps etc: "bitrot" is a
myth.  But new features will be added to Mailman 2 only if they are
one-liners, as I interpret Mark's changes for the last couple of
years.

Steve