[Mailman-Users] Mailman 3 list description - non-ASCII characters?

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Feb 24 12:40:59 EST 2016

On Feb 24, 2016, at 02:51 PM, Igor Maly wrote:

>I'd like to use non-ASCII characters  in list description.
>To keep it simple, let's assume I want the list description to be single
>character "á" (Unicode: \u00e1, UTF-8: C3 A1).
>I can enter such a description in list identity page
>(http://MYHOST:8000/mailman3/lists/MYLIST/settings/list_identity, field
>Description).
>After hitting Save changes the description still reads "á", but reloading
>the settings page yields a single question mark "?" there.
>Lists overview (http://MYHOST:8000/mailman3/lists/) shows "?" too in
>Description column.

I don't know whether that's a problem in Postorius, core, or both.  You'd have
to inspect the database entry or the ORM MailingList object to see what's
stored in the core.  There are several ways to do this; if you're using
SQLite, you could dump out the database table directly.  Or you can use
`mailman shell` to get a prompt, load the mailing list, and print its
description.  Or you can use e.g. the curl command line to query the REST API.

If the value is correct in the core, then it's a display problem in Postorius.

You can also file a bug for the core and Postorius and let us sort it out. :)

Cheers,
-Barry