[Mailman-Users] Trouble with HTML emails again (in Mailman 3)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Feb 16 23:36:45 EST 2016

Shea Alterio writes:

 > One of two things is happening... either the message is shown as a
 > text/plain email with an HTML attachment included, which if you
 > open up, is the way the HTML email should look.
 > Or I will get an email with a bunch of strangely broken HTML, for
 > example this snippet of HTML:
 >
 > new releases are also viewable at

Is this snippet in the mail *as delivered*?

If not, I suspect you have (or the defaults have) the "convert HTML to
text" option set.

 > I can't seem to figure out what happened as I haven't been messing
 > with Mailman's configuration. Where should I look to take care of
 > this?

HTML mail is very fragile because many generators do not conform to
the standard and it's very difficult to preserve the intended meaning
even though if left alone it almost always displays nicely.  In a
context where intermediaries mutate it *in any way* before passing it
on to the end user, it *will* break, and should be avoided.  If HTML
is very desirable for whatever reason, try turning off all mailing
list features that touch the body (specifically header and footer).