[Mailman-Users] Mailman Hosting

Richard Shetron guest2 at sgeinc.com
Fri Dec 23 09:36:17 EST 2016

Maybe they were using some type of grey listing.

For those who don't know:
Grey listing is where the target MTA rejects with a retry error code the
email from a new source for some period of time.  Every site can set
their own delay.  Most spammers won't retry so it gets rid of a lot of
spam.  Real email servers will accept the retry error (4xx) and retry
after some prefigured time from a few seconds to an hour or more.  The
IP addresses are tracked and if retried after the time limit are white
listed for anywhere from a few hours to a month or more.