[Mailman-Users] Regular subscriber receiving both regular and digest delivery

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 9 12:24:52 EST 2016

On 12/08/2016 11:20 AM, Brian Austin wrote:
> Running Mailman 2.1.12 on CentOS 6.8. We have a regular-delivery subscriber who is somehow receiving both regular and digest delivery for the same list. She only wants regular delivery. Here’s what we’ve checked so far:
> It’s very possible I’ve overlooked something basic.
> Would be nice to see “under the hood” how Mailman is handling the user’s subscription. Am guessing there’s a way but am a fairly newbie sysadmin and am not familiar enough with Mailman to know.
>
> Any suggestions on how to pin down and solve the problem? Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

The digest is being sent to a different list member. If you look at the
headers of the digest she receives, in particular, the chain of
Sender: and Errors-To: will have the address encoded as
listname-bounces+user=her.domain at list.domain where her address is
user at her.domain.

Alternatively, you can run

  bin/list_members -d -f -n enabled <list name>

to get a list of the members receiving digests. You may be able to
shorten the list with '-d mime' or '-d plain' instead of '-d' to match
the format (mime or plain) of the digests she receives. You may be able
to figure out from this list, particularly if the display name matches,
which one goes to her.

The bottom line is Mailman will never send both individual messages and
digests to the same address except for one final digest when a user
switches from digests to individual messages. Mailman is sending these
to two different subscriber addresses and something in the delivery
chain after Mailman is getting them both into her inbox.