[Mailman-Users] unsubscriptions due to automatic bounce processing

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 15:28:06 EDT 2016

I recently took over a lot of pre-existing mailman lists for a new client.
At least one list was pretty messy. They had automatic bounce processing
turned on, but the threshold was high, and reset time was shorter than the
typical length of times between postings (it's an announce-only list that
goes out about once monthly). So there were a lot of bad addresses.

I decided to set it up to clean out the cruft fast, and then I'd temper it
back a little. So I set it up like this:

bounce_processing: yes
bounce_score_threshold: 2.0
bounce_info_stale_after: 63
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings: 0
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval: 7
bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner: no
bounce_notify_owner_on_disable: yes
bounce_notify_owner_on_removal: yes

It appears to have worked, but what I'm confused about is this: the last
mailing went out on August 11th, and the list owners got 750 automatic
unsubscribes yesterday. "bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings" set to zero is
supposed to mean that people are removed "immediately" ... but maybe that
means "immediately, once some scheduled script or job runs"? Let me know
what controls that, or if I'm maybe going the wrong direction here. I.e.,
does bounce processing only happens once every few weeks, perhaps?

Thanks,
Matt