[Mailman-Users] Suggestions for handling archive growth

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Thu Apr 14 18:36:20 EDT 2016

On 4/14/2016 10:36 AM, Gretchen R Beck wrote:

> As our archives approach a terabyte in size, I was wondering if anyone
> had suggestions or tips for handling archive growth and storage. I've got
> some ideas, but am wondering what others might be doing.  Just as
> background, we have a few thousand lists, and support a mid-sized
> university population, with list creation open to faculty, staff, and
> students.

My first thoughts involve purging old/unused lists, message retention
policies, whether attachments have been scrubbed- that sort of thing. Are
there single lists that have -huge- archives or are there just a lot of
lists with small archives?

For instance, if none of a list's members are still active accounts, does it
make sense to keep the archive online, or to retain it at all?

z!