[Mailman-Users] Off topic, how to get in verizon.net's good graces?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Apr 3 23:09:23 EDT 2016

Arlen Raasch writes:

 > But, try as we may verizon.net still refuses to talk to our servers
 > except to say it is rejecting our messages.

I thank the members of the Olympic Pantheon that my list members
respond to "get an address with a Provider That Cares[tm]" with "I've
been meaning to do that for a while, thanks for the reminder!"

 > suspended: host relay.verizon.net[206.46.232.11] refused to talk to me: 571
 > Email from 192.168.1.1 is currently blocked by Verizon Online's anti-spam
 > system. The email sender or Email Service Provider may visit
 > http://www.verizon.net/whitelist and request removal of the block. 160403)

Have you checked the RBLs?  There are many of them, and now there are
services that will check a whole list for you; Googling "RBL checker"
got a bunch of services.  I've used mxtoolbox.com myself, but I can
only say I'm satisfied, I haven't done any comparisons.  Since you're
actually having problems, you might want to try a couple more if you
get a clean bill of health from just one.  One advantage of mxtoolbox
is that they check more than just your RBL status, they do some
validation on your DNS and MTA, too.

 > I have submitted multiple whitelist requests as shown above, and have seen
 > no response whatsoever from Verizon.  Frustrating.  This has been going on
 > for 5 days now.

IME, 5 days for a response from the large ISPs is at least a birdie,
maybe an eagle. :-)  My sister hates Verizon but has no choice of ISP,
FWIW.  (Her emails are corporate and GMail, for that reason.)

Your users will probably be happier if you can get Verizon to stop
blocking you, rather than changing their addresses.

Sorry I can't be of more help, maybe somebody else knows somebody at
Verizon....

Steve