[Mailman-Users] Multiple "Re:" in subject

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 15 17:07:39 CEST 2015

On 09/15/2015 06:50 AM, Camille Ollié wrote:

> i've installed Mailman3 on my Debian server.
>
> It works fine but i have a little problem : all replied messages have
> more "Re:" in Subject and i've not found where to control/remove it.

This reply will have Re: in the subject. I don't think Mailman will try
to remove either my Re: or your original "Re:", but it may. so my
subject as sent will be:

Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Multiple "Re:" in subject

And I think it will go to the list that way.

The issue is someone else may reply to my reply and her MUA (mail
client) may create a subject

Subject: Re: Re: [Mailman-Users] Multiple "Re:" in subject

This is strictly an issue with her MUA and depends on the MUA she uses.

Mailman does make some modifications to the Subject: header involved
with prefixing (adding [Mailman-Users] in this case), and those
modifications also attempt to collapse multiple Re: but they aren't
perfect, and the algorithm varies depending on site settings and whether
or not the list is set up for numbering in subject_prefix.