[Mailman-Users] {Disarmed} Re: importing archived Maildir email lists into Mailman lists archives

[IDIS Technical Secretariat] Ricardo Rodríguez ricardo.rodriguez at idisantiago.es
Wed Sep 2 21:27:42 CEST 2015

Thanks Andrew and Mark! As a general rule of thumb, I usually avoid to
reply to a message without reflecting for some hours on its content! Sorry
for asking things with an obvious answer: I was using a sftp client to
access /private and didn't realise that there is a folder, then a file,
with the same name! listname.mbox. And thanks for the explanation!

Please, read below...

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Andrew Hodgson <andrew at hodgsonfamily.org>
wrote:

> [IDIS Technical Secretariat] Ricardo Rodríguez wrote:
> >
> >Before going ahead, there is one thing I'm curious about as I don't
> understand it. Please, why does the path to the mbox file include
> <listname>.mbox twice? Here...
> >

> http://wiki.list.org/DOC/How%20do%20I%20import%20an%20archive%20into%20a%20new%20mailing%20list%3F
> >
> >It reads...
> >
> >archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox
>
> Yup, the file needs to be called listname.mbox in the directory
> ~/archives/private/listname.mbox.  So for example, to copy the
> mailman-users archive into your home directory, assuming Mailman was
> installed in the default location, you would enter a command like:
>
>  cp /usr/local/mailman/private/mailman-users.mbox/mailman-users.mbox ~
>
> That would give you a file called mailman-users.mbox in your home
> directory with all the archives in mbox format.
>
> If your list is new then after running cleanarch on that mbox file, I
> would copy it to ~archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox, ensure
> perms are correct by running check_perms, then run arch with the wipe
> parameter to build all the HTML indexes for the web pages.

> If you have a list already, I would stop Mailman, then cat the mbox file
> in place at the location ~archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox to a
> copy of your converted archives.  I would then run cleanarch on the
> resulting file, then put that in place in
> ~archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox before checking perms and
> running arch with the wipe parameter.
>
> Hope this clears things up for you.
> Andrew.

It worked! Thank you very much! I've learnt a lot, about a lot of things!
Together with a great programe I've discovered a great community. Who
knows? Perhaps in the future I'll be able to contribute in any way :-) Here
we have our first "complete" list by consolidating former ezmlm managed
contents with our brand new Mailman list with the same name...

http://lists.idisantiago.es/pipermail/r.users/

Still, I've a doubt about the syntax of Mailman commands. I do need to do...

[root at idis2 r.users.mbox]# cleanarch <r.users.all.mbox>
r.users.all.clean.mbox

While <> are not required in command arch...

[root at idis2 r.users.mbox]# arch --wipe r.users r.users.mbox

If I don't use <> to enclose the input file name in cleanarch, I get the
help page!

Usage of both commands as per their help pages are close to similar...

Usage: cleanarch [options] < inputfile > outputfile

Usage: /usr/lib/mailman/bin/arch [options] <listname> [<mbox>]

Also, arch alone shows its help page whereas cleanarch alone do "nothing".
Those usage lines and command behaviour aren't to consistent, are they?
Could this behaviour be caused by my local configuration?

Thanks!!!

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Research Management and Promotion Technician