[Mailman-Users] {Disarmed} Re: importing archived Maildir email lists into Mailman lists archives

[IDIS Technical Secretariat] Ricardo Rodríguez ricardo.rodriguez at idisantiago.es
Wed Sep 2 11:32:53 CEST 2015

Thanks for the answer! Please, read below...

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 3:12 AM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 08/31/2015 05:58 AM, [IDIS Technical Secretariat] Ricardo Rodríguez
> wrote:
> >
> > This has been more or less my entry point to this issue. Perhaps I've
> > not been able to explain the issue correctly or I'm missing something.
> > What I'm looking to move into mbox is a set of archives of Maildir
> > mailing lists.
>

> Why do you refer to these archives as being of Maildir mailing lists?
> What is the actual software that created them.

The original sentence I got from the provider said, translated to English:
the format is vpopmail (qmail - courier). I must recognise that I'm not
able to reconstruct the pathway that has led me to say that we were using
Maildir. Ezmlm was the actual software that created that lists. Both,
regular maildir account subfolders and ezmlm subfolders are stored in the
same folder in the archives structure. I think this was the reason why I
interpreted all of them are Maildir subfolders.

> Those archives don't contain new, cur and tmp folders all
> > the scripts I've spotted at looked for. This is the structure of each
> > archived email list folder I have here...
> >
> > Ricardo-Rodriguezs-Mac-Pro:r.users rrodriguez$ ls
> > Log           bounce          digissue        headerremove    lock
>       mod             outlocal        remote
> > allow         bouncer         dignum          indexed
>  lockbounce      modsub          owner           subscribers
> > archive       config          editor          inlocal
>  mailinglist     num             prefix          text
> > archived      digest          headeradd       key             manager
>      outhost         public          tstdig
> >

> > Within /archive, there are two folders, 0 and 1, with a number of files,
> > each of them containing one message, and an index file.
>

> This looks vaguely like Maildir, except Maildir has no index file. What
> is in the index file(s)? What is the difference between 0 and 1? Do they
> each contain some complete (including all headers) messages, i.e. each
> contains a set of messages that combined are all the messages, or does
> one of them contain message headers and the other bodies, or does one
> contain messages and the other contain metadata about the messages?

Here you can access to the whole structure of one of the subfolders...

http://datasource.idisantiago.es/r.users/

Here the indexes of subfolders 0 and 1 (ISO Latin 1 encoding required for a
correct rendering of all the characters)...

http://datasource.idisantiago.es/r.users/archive/0/index
http://datasource.idisantiago.es/r.users/archive/1/index

It looks like each subfolder in the row within /archive holds a maximum of
100 messages numbered from 0 to 99.

Each file within subfolders 0 and 1 contains a complete message, including
attachments (this is a guess, as files' size ranges from few Kbs to several
Mbs).

> > Please, does this made sense for you? Am I completely lost? How could I
> > deal with this "archives" to move them to mbox files and get them
> > imported our brand new Mailman server?
>

> You just need to add a *nix From_ separator to the beginning of each
> complete message and concatenate them.
>
> If you can show me what's actually in some of those files, I could

The link above gives access to a whole subfolder!

> possibly create a conversion script for you.
>
> It could be as simple as something like
>
> cat archives/0/* archives/1/* > mbox
>
> except for the index files, but probably not.

I founded this...

[Mailman-Users] Moving to mailman from ezmlm
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-November/032591.html

[Mailman-Users] Migrate from EZMLM to Mailman
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2012-November/074408.html

But I'm afraid I have been not able to find any message with more detailed
information.

> --

Once again: thank you for your help and, please, accept my apologies if I'm
not able to provide accurate and clear information about the issue: at
least for me, it is by no means easy to sail this sea plenty of different
standards!

All the best,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Research Management and Promotion Technician