[Mailman-Users] Part of moderated mails postponed to later digests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Nov 9 09:51:31 EST 2015

On 11/9/15 4:50 AM, Henrik Rasmussen wrote:

>> Mark Sapiro [mailto:mark at msapiro.net]
>> Sent: 4. november 2015 17:07

>> Anyway, I understood your OP to say digests were being sent only weekly when batches of held messages are approved.
> That was an example of the frequency, held mails is being approved by the moderator. When the moderator approves a bunch of mails in one week, the list admin claims that only some of the mails are posted to the list, but that some of the mails will not be sent in a digest until the next moderation a week later (example).

This is the first time (I think) you mentioned 'posted to the list' Are
the messages missing from the digest not posted to the list at all until
the next week? I.e. are they not in the list archives and not delivered
to any non-digest members?

If in fact the missing messages don't appear in the archive until the
next week, this is a different issue which has nothing to do with
digests per se.

>> if you don't want digests triggered on size
> The list admin doesn't need digests sent according to size so a digest_size_threshhold = 10000 should be fine. The moderator wants to have the mails included in a digest the next noon after approving the mails.

Are the messages which are sent, sent in an immediate digest at the time
of approval or just the next noon?

If the former, that digest is triggered on size. If the latter, those
are the only messages that actually got approved at that time.

>> and your mailman is older than 2.1.16
> I run Mailman 2.1.12 which is the latest available for yum update on RHEL6. I think the last Mailman version on RHEL7 is 2.1.15, but we're not there yet.

So you can't use digest_size_threshhold = 0 for unlimited because of the
bug, but if digests are triggered on size and you don't want that, you
can set digest_size_threshhold to a bigger number.

> According to the vette log, some are discarded by moderator actions, :
>    Oct 25 10:20:42 2015 (16801) Precedence: bulk message discarded by: LISTNAME-request at list.example.com
> And of cause a lot of "Reason: Non-members" and spam-like messages "Reason: Your message was deemed inappropriate by the moderator.".

What does the vette log say about the messages that don't appear in a
digest until the following week? Do they show as approved at the same
time as the others that are in the first digest or not until later.