[Mailman-Users] 64 bit encoding

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 5 15:50:18 EST 2015

On 11/05/2015 10:33 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On 11/05/2015 01:05 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> How do you start Mailman? Where is the bin/mailmanctl that starts it?
>
> /etc/rc.d/mailman which unfortunately is piped through systemd.

> MM_CT=/usr/lib/mailman/cron/crontab
> MM_CTRL=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl
> MM_PID=/var/lib/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid

So starting Mailman runs the Mailman in /usr/lib/mailman/

>> what is in paths.py in the same bin/ directory?
>
> Excellent question...
>
> import os
> import sys
>
> # some scripts expect this attribute to be in this module
> prefix = '/usr/lib/mailman'

And paths.py is consistent with this.

>> Are there any lists with
>> public archives and if so, are there symlinks in
>> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/archives/public/ and where do they point?
>
> I have done the archives using the same software I wrote in 1996 but the mbox et al seems to be in
>
> www:/etc/postfix # ls -al  /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/hangout.mbox/hangout.mbox
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 486238 Nov  5 11:32 /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/hangout.mbox/hangout.mbox
>
> www:/etc/postfix # ls -al  /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
> total 8
> drwxrwsr-x 2 root   mailman 4096 Oct 20 23:43 .
> drwxrwsr-x 4 root   mailman 4096 Oct  8  2014 ..
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 daemon mailman   41 Oct 20 23:43 hangout -> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/hangout
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 daemon mailman   39 Oct 20 16:08 learn -> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/learn
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   mailman   41 Oct 20 11:14 mailman -> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mailman

This is all consistent with an instalation with prefix =
/usr/lib/mailman and var_prefix = /var/lib/mailman

>> Do the web server and the qrunners actually reference the same archives,
>
> I would prefer the webserver not to reach the archives that mailman archives at all,
> since my real archive is sitting on a remote postgres server.

And you've basically arranged that by making the archive public as far
as mailman is concerned and telling apache

    Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/archives/public/

so at least the default public archive URLs point somewhere where the
archives presumably aren't.

You might consider setting PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in mm_cfg.py to something like

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://remote.server/whatever/%(listname)s'

You might also avoid this whole patching issue by teaching your archiver
to decode base64 and quoted-printable encoded message bodies.

I still wonder about

    ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/cgi-bin/

If you do for example

strings /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/cgi-bin/admin | grep mailman

do you see paths like /usr/lib/mailman and /usr/lib/mailman/scripts?

If so, you are probably OK. If they point at some /usr/local/apache
directory, you may have issues with the web UI manipulating totally
different list objects than the real ones.