[Mailman-Users] 64 bit encoding

Ruben Safir mrbrklyn at panix.com
Thu Nov 5 13:33:20 EST 2015

On 11/05/2015 01:05 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>> ohh.
>>
>> Maybe I did that because I didn't want my cgi-bin directory outside of
>> my apache trunk.  It is odd habit I picked up in the last 30 years is
>> that I want my webservers restricted to the apache directory tree which
>> is /usr/local/apache/
>>
>> It didn't occur to be that mailing system binary and script libraries
>> would also end up in the apache trunk.
>

> They don't have to, but the real question now is do you have one Mailman
> installation in /usr/local/apache/conf/mailman, or do you have a split
> installation with some things there and some things in /usr/lib/mailman.

The idea is to have it split, and let the mail stuff do its thing in /usr/lib/ or /var/lib,
and to integrate the admin interface to my existing apache tree minus the mailman archive
which I don't currently have use for.

>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>>     ServerAdmin ruben at mrbrklyn.com
>>     DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/nylxs"
>>     ScriptAlias     /mailman/
>> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/cgi-bin/
>>     Alias           /mailmanicons/  /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/icons/
>>     Alias           /pipermail/
>> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/archives/public/
>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>>         ServerName   lists.mrbrklyn.com
>>         DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/"
>>         ScriptAlias     /mailman/
>> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/cgi-bin/
>>         Alias           /mailmanicons/
>> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/icons/
>>         Alias           /pipermail/
>> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/archives/public/
>

> Now it seems that apache is pointed at Mailman stuff in yes a third
> place, /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman.

well, that is just the public side of the webserver so anything that is displayed to the world is under /usr/local/apache/htdocs/ and for mailman

/usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman
the configuration files for the web sever should be nicely tucked into /usr/local/apache/conf and /usr/local/apache/conf/mailman/

normal I would put cgi-bins under /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/ but for mailman I was going tuck them under the mailman config section for the webserver under /usr/local/apache/conf/mailman

> How do you start Mailman? Where is the bin/mailmanctl that starts it?

/etc/rc.d/mailman which unfortunately is piped through systemd.

#! /bin/sh
# Copyright (c) 2000-2001 SuSE GmbH Nuernberg, Germany.
# Copyright (c) 2002 SuSE Linux AG
#
# Author: Heiko Rommel <feedback at suse.de>
#
# /etc/init.d/mailman
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: mailman
# Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog cron sendmail $named
# Required-Stop:  $remote_fs $syslog
# Default-Start:  3 5
# Default-Stop:   0 1 2 6
### END INIT INFO

# Check for missing binaries (stale symlinks should not happen)
ETC_CT=/etc/cron.d/mailman
MM_CT=/usr/lib/mailman/cron/crontab
MM_CTRL=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl
MM_PID=/var/lib/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid
test -f $MM_CT || exit 5
test -x $MM_CTRL || exit 5

> what is in  in the same bin/ directory?

Excellent question...

import os
import sys

# some scripts expect this attribute to be in this module
prefix = '/usr/lib/mailman'
exec_prefix = '${prefix}'

# work around a bogus autoconf 2.12 bug
if exec_prefix == '${prefix}':
    exec_prefix = prefix

> Are there any lists with
> public archives and if so, are there symlinks in
> /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mailman/archives/public/ and where do they point?

I have done the archives using the same software I wrote in 1996 but the mbox et al seems to be in

www:/etc/postfix # ls -al  /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/hangout.mbox/hangout.mbox
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 486238 Nov  5 11:32 /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/hangout.mbox/hangout.mbox

www:/etc/postfix # ls -al  /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
total 8
drwxrwsr-x 2 root   mailman 4096 Oct 20 23:43 .
drwxrwsr-x 4 root   mailman 4096 Oct  8  2014 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 daemon mailman   41 Oct 20 23:43 hangout -> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/hangout
lrwxrwxrwx 1 daemon mailman   39 Oct 20 16:08 learn -> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/learn
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   mailman   41 Oct 20 11:14 mailman -> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mailman

> Do the web server and the qrunners actually reference the same archives,

I would prefer the webserver not to reach the archives that mailman archives at all,
since my real archive is sitting on a remote postgres server.