[Mailman-Users] SMTP-AUTH and Mailman 2.1.18-1

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 25 19:50:19 CEST 2015

On 05/25/2015 09:56 AM, Jon Gardner wrote:
> I’ve been using the SMTPAUTHDirect.py handler to enable Mailman 2.1.x to use SMTP-AUTH. It’s been working great, until I upgraded my server from Mavericks (Mac OS X 10.9 + Server 3) to Yosemite (Mac OS X 10.10 + Server 4). For some reason, Server 4 isn’t permitting “plain” authentication at all. I’m still chasing that down, but in the meantime Mailman can’t send anything at all.
>
> Is there a way to make the SMTPAUTHDirect.py handler use cram-md5 authentication instead of plain?

Where did you get this handler? The only similar thing I am aware of is
a patch at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558281>.

While the proper first line of recourse to a third party patch/handler
is to the author, if you tell me where this handler came from so I can
get a copy, I'll look at how to fix it. However, if your
SMTPAUTHDirect.py is just SMTPDirect.py patched as above, it just uses
smtplib.connect.login and it seems that that should try all offered
authentication methods that it supports which are in order of
preference, CRAM_MD5, PLAIN, LOGIN.

Thus it would seem either your handler is not just SMTPDirect.py patched
as above or perhaps your server is not offering AUTH methods in response
to EHLO.

You could try settng the connection's debug level as described in the
FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/4030716> to get more info.