[Mailman-Users] Mystery of the site-wide mailing list...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 5 18:15:43 CEST 2015

On 05/05/2015 06:24 AM, Bill.Costa at unh.edu wrote:

> I noticed there are .py source files and .pyc files which I
> guessed and confirmed are compiled versions of the source.
> According to this doc:
>
> http://wiki.list.org/DOC/My%20change%20to%20a%20source%20module%20is%20inneffective%3B%20When%20do%20I%20need%20to%20restart%20Mailman%3F?highlight=%28compile%29
>

> or https://tinyurl.com/obxff58

If you look at the navigation links on the wiki pages there is a TinyURL
link - in the default theme it is in the left sidebar in the middle of
the second group in the "Wiki" section.

Clicking this link will give a message, "A short link to this page is
http://wiki.list.org/x/17891729" in the case of the above page.

This is perhaps a bit easier than creating a tinyurl.com link.

> It looks like all I need to do is make the changes to the source
> and restart Mailman, and we should be all set; new compiled
> versions will be automatically created as needed.  Slick.

Yes, Python will do the right thing. If the .py is newer than the .pyc,
it will use the .py and if it has permission, rewrite the .pyc for the
next time.

> Thanks so much for site-wide list recommendation and the roadmap
> for making the site contact customization.

You're welcome.