[Mailman-Users] Mystery of the site-wide mailing list...

Bill.Costa at unh.edu Bill.Costa at unh.edu
Tue May 5 15:24:34 CEST 2015

Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> recently posted, in part...

> Here's how I use and recommend the site list.
>
> 1) the members of the list are the site admins.
> 2) generic_nonmember_action is Accept.

Left to my own devices, this is what I would have done, but it
seemed to go against the 'official' recommendation.  Hearing from
an experienced site admin that this is a good practice is a big
help.2

> Now, you want to use a different address and this can be done but
> requires some changes.

While I want to keep the installation as vanilla as possible, I'm
not averse to a few well placed hacks.  I really appreciate your
pointing out the precise locations where these changes need to be
applied.

> Also, the address in the body of password reminders and new
> list mail can be changed ...  but without changing the code,
> the From: will still be the sitelist-owner address.

We can certainly live with that.

I noticed there are .py source files and .pyc files which I
guessed and confirmed are compiled versions of the source.
According to this doc:

http://wiki.list.org/DOC/My%20change%20to%20a%20source%20module%20is%20inneffective%3B%20When%20do%20I%20need%20to%20restart%20Mailman%3F?highlight=%28compile%29

or https://tinyurl.com/obxff58

It looks like all I need to do is make the changes to the source
and restart Mailman, and we should be all set; new compiled
versions will be automatically created as needed.  Slick.

Thanks so much for site-wide list recommendation and the roadmap
for making the site contact customization.

...BC

--
  Bill Costa