[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Sun Mar 22 18:38:33 CET 2015

On Sun, 2015-03-22 at 11:52 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 3/20/2015 2:48 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse at fmp.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 14:37 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> >> No, the point is you apparently can't simply acknowledge that you
> >> mis-spoke/made a mistake.
> >
> > Tanstaafl, it it will make you happy, I _officially_ acknowledge that I
> > made a mistake/mis-spoke, and I apologize to you, and to anyone else who
> > was confused or annoyed by what I said!
> >
> > I still think you pretty much missed my point.
> >
> > Can we move on now?
>
> We could have moved on 3 posts ago had you simply said 'oops, yeah, I
> misspoke, here's what I meant', instead of trying to justify it somehow.
>
> I even included a winkie in my first comment pointing out you probably
> mis-spoke - which, when combined with the rest of the content of my
> posts, shows conclusively that I did indeed 'get your point'.
>
> And now you compound the problem by making a grand-standing apology
> obviously meant tongue-in-cheek, in that you don't really mean it, but
> instead are trying to deflect blame for this ridiculous side-thread back
> on me.

Again, I apologize to you, Tanstaafl, and anyone else who found my
over-broad assertion off-putting or inappropriate.  So, oops, yeah, I
misspoke.  And my first apology was completely sincere.

I'm making a conscious effort to not make broad assertions and
generalizations without providing at least _some_ evidence in support of
what I say.

If anyone else wishes to personally take me to task over this, PLEASE do
so in personal email.  I'll be happy, as always, to field technical
critiques on list of _any_ assertions I make, broad or narrow, as I'm
sure well everyone else on this list.

Subject closed!  Now back to our regularly scheduled program :)

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The only unchanging certainty
FMP Computer Services |    is the certainty of change"