[Mailman-Users] Archiving problems

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Tue Jan 27 06:12:08 CET 2015

On 1/26/15 9:32 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 01/26/2015 06:08 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> You weren't supposed to remove/move archives/private, just the
>> subordinate listname directories.
>
> And once again, I misspoke (mistyped). I again meant the subordinate
> listname directories under archives/public, not archives/private.
>
> Mailman expects archives/public to exist, but the subordinates which are
> supposed to be symlinks into archives/private are checked and
> added/removed if necessary each time the list object is saved because
> the list's archive_private setting might have changed necessitating the
> addition or removal of symlinks.

Ok.

I put the archives/public folder back.

Toggling the archives setting on the publicly archived lists from public
to private and back again created the symlinks.  So far so good.

All the archives work when in private state.  But I had to manually
change the owner of all the publicly available list archives to _www in
private in order for them to be readable.  Otherwise they get a big
"Forbidden" message.  Should *all* the lists be _www? Everything in
archives/private, or just the archive folders and not the mbox folders?
The archives/private folder itself is already _www.

Thanks for your continued tolerance and assistance.