[Mailman-Users] Which from, reply and DMARC settings for a discussion group?

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Jan 19 19:04:52 CET 2015

> 1.  It confuses the h### out of naive users (typically those from
>    offending domains).
> 2.  Some users from offending domains b#### loudly about having their
>    addresses "deprecated".

I've been doing this for the better part of a year, with some very
non-technical users on lists for my church and a bunch of folk dancers.
For the most part, they don't even notice it.  Perhaps one or two wrote to
me to ask what it was.  Do you have concrete experience that says
otherwise?

Remember that their real address is still there, e.g.:

   From: Marissa M <marissa at yahoo.com.dmarc.fail>

> 3.  Mailman can't implement it anyway, because Mailman not only isn't
>    the only MTA on the block, it isn't an MTA at all.

It's true, it needs cooperation from whatever MTA receives the rewritten
addresses.  The code isn't hard, for people who want to do it.

Regards,