[Mailman-Users] Migration Problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 9 01:06:21 CET 2015

On 01/08/2015 03:23 PM, Dennis Putnam wrote:

> However,
> the only step I did not do yet is the URL change (I am testing a
> kickstart file) so my last problem may be due to that but I am thinking
> not. When I access the listinfo, no lists are published but I can see
> them in /var/lib/mailman/lists.

It probably is the URL used to visit the page. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/6oA9>

> Also the admin pages are not password
> projected. So either I did not copy something from the old server
> (CentOS 6 (32 bit)) or whatever I did copy from 2.1.12 (32 bit) is not
> compatible with 2.1.15 (64 bit).

A much more likely explanation is you have an authentication cookie in
your browser. There is no configuration or data (other than the cookie)
that would cause authentication for the admin pages to be bypassed.

> There is probably a 'withlist' command
> that fixes all this but that command cannot be run in the kickstart file
> so I'd rather copy the appropriate files from the old server if
> possible. Is there something other than /var/lib/mailman that I should
> have copied? Perhaps something in /usr/lib/mailman.

Probably not.

> P.S. I still have to figure out how to migrate my custom changes which
> are in /usr/lib/mailman.

The moral here is whenever you make a change to any Mailman module, you
should keep a diff that can be reapplied as a patch when you upgrade.

At this point, if you don't have that, you could download the 2.1.12
source tarball from <https://launchpad.net/mailman/2.1/2.1.12> or
<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mailman/>, unpack it and diff it against your
2.1.12 /usr/lib/mailman to see what you changed. You may have to sift a
bit to separate your changes from any RedHat package changes, but you
should be able to work it out.