[Mailman-Users] How to configure mailman to only deliver mail a few times a day?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 4 17:07:07 CET 2015

On 02/04/2015 07:33 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Laura Creighton writes:
>
> Hi Laura!
>
>  > While some people want to continue receiving digests, and some
>  > people don't, everybody is in favour of having the mail only go out
>  > in batches at set intervals during the day.  So maybe once a day is
>  > too infrequent, and 3 times a day would be nicer, but what is not
>  > wanted is 'deliver this as soon as it arrives'.
>
> Mailman delivers as soon as the mail arrives, except for digests.
> This is not configurable in Mailman.  You might be able to run a cron
> job which starts Mailman at 0, 8, and 16 hours, and stops it at 1, 9,
> and 17 hours.  Seems kinda kludgy but should work (untested, of
> course).  I thought about just stopping the outgoing runner, but
> that's going to be really messy.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/4030607>. I don't think you could
use the throttle.patch directly, but you could use the idea perhaps to
do what you want, but it would probably be a kludge.

> Digests are delivered when the size limit is reached (if
> digest_size_threshold > 0), or once a day (if digest_send_periodic is
> set), which ever comes first.  The size limit is set on the "Digest
> Options" view of the "Administration" page for the list.

You can adjust Mailman's crontab to run cron/senddigests more frequently
which could help, but then people who want a less frequent digest
wouldn't have that option.

> I suppose it might be possible to modify Mailman to hang on to posts
> for a few hours and send them out in batches, but this might cause a
> large load on the mail server during that period.

That's what I was getting at above.