[Mailman-Users] How to configure mailman to only deliver mail a few times a day?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Feb 4 16:33:19 CET 2015

Laura Creighton writes:

Hi Laura!

 > While some people want to continue receiving digests, and some
 > people don't, everybody is in favour of having the mail only go out
 > in batches at set intervals during the day.  So maybe once a day is
 > too infrequent, and 3 times a day would be nicer, but what is not
 > wanted is 'deliver this as soon as it arrives'.

Mailman delivers as soon as the mail arrives, except for digests.
This is not configurable in Mailman.  You might be able to run a cron
job which starts Mailman at 0, 8, and 16 hours, and stops it at 1, 9,
and 17 hours.  Seems kinda kludgy but should work (untested, of
course).  I thought about just stopping the outgoing runner, but
that's going to be really messy.

Digests are delivered when the size limit is reached (if
digest_size_threshold > 0), or once a day (if digest_send_periodic is
set), which ever comes first.  The size limit is set on the "Digest
Options" view of the "Administration" page for the list.

I suppose it might be possible to modify Mailman to hang on to posts
for a few hours and send them out in batches, but this might cause a
large load on the mail server during that period.