[Mailman-Users] Altering 'From' address for a list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Aug 20 01:27:42 CEST 2015

On 08/19/2015 11:31 AM, Tony Stocker wrote:

> I have tried setting up /etc/postfix/generic file to munge the address, but
> no setting that I make has made any difference, things continue to show a
> 'From:' address as admin at mail.pos.net and inside the headers I see that the
> 'Sender:' line looks like this:
> Sender: admin-bounces at mail.pos.net
>
> I've tried the following entries in the /etc/postfix/generic file:
>
> admin at mail.pos.net          helpdesk at mail.pos.net
> admin-bounces at mail.pos.net          helpdesk at mail.pos.net
> admin-owner at mail.pos.net          helpdesk at mail.pos.net
> admin at localhost.pos.net          helpdesk at mail.pos.net
> admin-bounces at localhost.pos.net          helpdesk at mail.pos.net
> admin-owner at localhost.pos.net          helpdesk at mail.pos.net
> admin          helpdesk at mail.pos.net

mailman-users at python.org is not the best resource for generic Postfix
questions. I suggest you join the postfix-users at postfix.org list and
post there. See <http://www.postfix.org/lists.html>.

That said, I think you can accomplish what you're trying to do with
sender_canonical_maps instead of smtp_generic_maps.

Also note, if you rewrite the -bounces address, you will break Mailman's
automated bounce processing and the helpdesk will have to deal with
bouncing addresses manually.