[Mailman-Users] Attachments sent with Apple Mail being stripped

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Aug 16 16:18:22 CEST 2015

On 08/15/2015 05:57 PM, Nick Tonkin wrote:
> Hi all, I'm having a problem with mailman stripping attachments from
> messages sent with Apple Mail. It looks like the content-type is
> multipart/related, but I have added that to my list of allowed
> content-types and the jpeg still gets removed. Any ideas please?

I recommend that instead of putting 'multipart/this' and
'multipart/that' in pass_mime_types, that you put just 'multipart' to
allow all multipart parts and also put those elemental types you want.

Do you have collapse_alternatives = Yes? If so, and the images are in an
alternative part, that would explain it. E.g., if the message structure is

multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    multipart/related
        text/html
        image/jpeg

the multipart/alternative part will be replaced by the first alternative
leaving only that text/plain part.

Also, Apple Mail tends to create messages that don't render well with
some non-Apple MUAs. You might try setting filter_content = No to see if
the problem is content filtering or the viewing MUA.

If that doesn't explain your issue, post all your content filtering
settings and a raw example message. You can strip the body parts from
the message, but we'd want to see at least all the Content-Type headers
and boundaries.