[Mailman-Users] Documentation error?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 23 22:57:20 CEST 2015

On 04/23/2015 01:04 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> The Mailman installation instructions at
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node10.html> make
> reference to the following stanza in the configuration for the Apache
> web server.
>
> <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/">
>         AddDefaultCharset Off
> </Directory>
>
> Is this correct under _any_ circumstances these days?  My recollection
> is that Mailman was revised many years and versions ago to comply more
> closely to the Linux FSH and that the appropriate directory is
> now /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
>
> Should this be changed or amended?  Should I file a bug?

/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/ is the path that results from a
default configure. To get closer to FHS you can configure with the options

--prefix=/usr/local/lib/mailman

or

--prefix=/usr/lib/mailman

and

--with-var-prefix=/var/lib/mailman

Full FHS compliance is harder. See <http://wiki.list.org/x/8486953> and
the mailman-developers thread linked therefrom. Note that this is a Red
Hat patch, not standard Mailman.

If you want to file a bug for documentation purposes, feel free, but it
will be marked 'won't fix - wishlist' for MM 2.1.