[Mailman-Users] User doesn't exist

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 21 04:42:44 CEST 2015

On 04/20/2015 01:05 AM, KevinChen wrote:
> HI,all: I installed the mailman on a debian x32 VPS.My MTA is
> postfix.The mailman running is successful. So, i create a list name
> is mailman. This is list has two members. When i send mail to this
> list, i got an error.
>
> Apr 20 07:55:27 xapz-server postfix/lmtp[16950]: CA079822E6:
> to=<|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mainman at xapz.cn>,
> orig_to=<mainman at xapz.cn>, relay=mail.xapz.cn[private/dovecot-lmtp],
> delay=1.1, delays=1.1/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host
> mail.xapz.cn[private/dovecot-lmtp] said: 550 5.1.1
> <|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mainman at xapz.cn> User doesn't
> exist: |/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mainman at xapz.cn (in reply
> to RCPT TO command))
>
> mailman has two arguments post and mailman at xapz.cn, Did the list name
> without that domain?And how to resolve this problem?

Somehow Postfix is processing your Mailman aliases through
relay=mail.xapz.cn[private/dovecot-lmtp] which doesn't understand the
alias is a pipe.

There are various issues here: This looks like a Mailman 2.1.x alias
although these aliases normally do not have the domain as part of the
listname. I.e the alias would normally be

mailman:    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"

i.e. the listname in the command arg would be just 'mailman', not
'mainman' and not 'mainman at xapz.cn', but this is not the first problem
here. If it were the only problem, the message would have been piped to
the /var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman wrapper which then would have
complained about the list name.

The underlying issue here is a Postfix configuration issue. This list is
not the primary support resource for either Postfix or Debian's Mailman
package, but we will try to help if we can. In order to help further, we
need to see at least the output from 'postconf -n'.

Also, you should see these FAQs: <http://wiki.list.org/x/12812344> and
<http://wiki.list.org/x/10715238>. The latter may be helpful in an
environment where Dovecot is the normal LDA.