[Mailman-Users] I'd prefer clients had collapsing features, not top-post; do away with mailing list digests

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Fri Apr 10 04:05:28 CEST 2015

Mike Starr wrote:

> And we can all say that our preferred method is the Platonic
> ideal of email replies but out there in the world, most users
> go with the default reply location set up in their email
> client (some of which default to top posting and some of
> which default to bottom posting) and if there's trimming
> being done, it's usually done by the email client (web or
> desktop), not the user. At least with top posting, I don't
> have to scroll through an entire digest to see the actual
> content of the reply.

Speaking of mail client behaviour, I noticed recently that if you select some text before hitting Reply, iOS's Mail app will only quote the selected material. It's a pity making the selection is so tedious (selection shortcuts only work in the reply, not in the original email), but they do seem to be trying to cater for people who don't simply quote everything.

Peter Shute