[Mailman-Users] Is it possible to have munge_from and NOT add poster address to Reply-To?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 10 03:13:35 CEST 2015

On 04/08/2015 10:15 AM, Michael Hosford wrote:

> I have a very small (<10 members), closed mailing list where everyone
> wants the replies to go only to the list (and not to the poster).  I see
> that this is possible via anonymous_list, but the downside there is that
> (for obvious reasons) you can't tell who posted, unless they sign their
> posts.  Munge_from would be ideal for us (both for DMARC reasons and
> because it preserves the poster's name), except that it adds the
> poster's address to the Reply-To.
>
> Is there a way to have no Reply-To, or at least prevent the poster's
> address from being added to it?

There are two things here. First, when munging the From: we want the
poster's address, not just display name if any, to appear in visible
headers of the delivered post to facilitate replying to the poster only,
but this creates issues for a list like yours where reply_goes_to_list
is This List and a simple reply should go to the list only. For this
reason the strategy was changed in 2.1.19 so in Munge From or Wrap
Message cases when reply_goes_to_list is This List, the posters address
is put in Cc: rather than Reply-To:.

This is <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1407098>.

Here are comments from the current code.

# MAS: We need to do some things with the original From: if we've munged
# it for DMARC mitigation.  We have goals for this process which are
# not completely compatible, so we do the best we can.  Our goals are:
# 1) as long as the list is not anonymous, the original From: address
#    should be obviously exposed, i.e. not just in a header that MUAs
#    don't display.
# 2) the original From: address should not be in a comment or display
#    name in the new From: because it is claimed that multiple domains
#    in any fields in From: are indicative of spamminess.  This means
#    it should be in Reply-To: or Cc:.
# 3) the behavior of an MUA doing a 'reply' or 'reply all' should be
#    consistent regardless of whether or not the From: is munged.
# Goal 3) implies sometimes the original From: should be in Reply-To:
# and sometimes in Cc:, and even so, this goal won't be achieved in
# all cases with all MUAs.  In cases of conflict, the above ordering of
# goals is priority order.

So, if all you want is for 'reply' to go to the list only, in any
Mailman, set

first_strip_reply_to = Yes
reply_goes_to list = This List

If you also want DMARC Munge From or Wrap Message actions, then this
will still work with Mailman 2.1.19 and up.

If you really want to rewrite the From: with the posters display name
via the list and not have the poster's address in Reply-To: or Cc: at
all, this would require code modification.