[Mailman-Users] What would your dream Mailman web interface look like?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Apr 9 02:33:44 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 02:31:50AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> The only accessibility tool for the web that I'm familiar with is the
> ALT attribute for IMG and other non-text elements of HTML.

I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, you can get a long way
towards good accessibility by following standard UI guidelines and not
fighting the web frameworks. E.g. don't use colour *alone* as the only
distinguishing feature between elements. If you have the choice between
using open HTML that a screen reader can work with, or closed Flash that
screen readers cannot, then use HTML. Don't invent your own "fancy"
(i.e. sucky) UI that doesn't interoperate with (e.g.) the tab key
functionality that the browser already provides.

Accessibility for the handicapped ("differently abled") actually helps
us all, and for the most part shouldn't be too onerous.

--
Steve