[Mailman-Users] iOS app for moderation open sourced

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Mon Sep 15 00:15:14 CEST 2014

I hope someone does. I tried that one too, and found it unreliable in terms of not always showing all the messages available for moderation, and I suspect sometimes approving a different one to the one I selected.

There was apparently another app, iModerate by Manuel Weiel, but it's no longer available in the App Store because he's stopped paying the annual developer fee. This is something that's going to have to be done by anyone who takes on Mailman Moderator.

I assume these apps are aimed mainly at iPhone users because of the small screen. But even on an iPad I find it extremely frustrating because Safari and every other browser I've tried appear to close the app when it's been in the background for a while, which expires the login cookie, which means logging in again. IOS 6 didn't do this anywhere near as much as iOS 7. Perhaps iOS 8 will be better, or perhaps it will be even worse.

I couldn't get any browsers to remember the password either. It appears they need a username as well as a password to trigger the save prompt. My current solution is to use LastPass Tab as the browser. At least it offers a way to save the password, even if it is convoluted.

I wonder if a better way to make Mailman more accessible on either iphone or ipad would be to create a browser with password saving and just rearranging the existing pages with style sheets, it that's possible.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad