[Mailman-Users] Customizing information required for subscription

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 9 19:48:35 CEST 2014

On 09/08/2014 08:14 PM, Charlene Ruell wrote:

> Currently, part of our subscription process involves gathering additional
> information, such as which one of our member organizations the person
> requesting access if from. We then match this information to our records and
> subscribe those who are eligible. I have looked through all of the
> documentation for Mailman and have not been able to find if there are
> customizable fields for the subscription process. Does this exist? If not,
> does anyone have any suggestions on how I might integrate such information
> with the subscription process?

For Mailman 2.1.x at least, there is no provision for storing/retrieving
additional information beyond the user's email address and 'real name'.

You could make your own subscribe form (see
<http://wiki.list.org/x/hIA9>) and collect the information there. You
could either store this information outside of Mailman, or perhaps you
could use something like the MySQL MamberAdaptor
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/558093> to store membership
info in a MySQL database and update that directly with your own
subscription process.

Mailman 3 makes some of this easier as it stores member information in a
real database, but it isn't quite yet ready for prime time.