[Mailman-Users] Squirrelmail and wrapped messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 26 19:20:24 CET 2014

On 10/25/2014 07:42 PM, Ed Ravin wrote:
> I've converted a list to Mailman, and as I posted previously, I
> decided to use "wrapped" messages to keep AOL's hairtrigger spam
> filters from discarding incoming messages from AOL users.

I'm not sure what your specific AOL issue is, but as I posted previously
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2014-October/077908.html>,
I don't see it, at least not in the form that you appear to.

> Now I'm getting complaints from Outlook 2007 and Squirrelmail
> users that the messages from Mailman show up as text attachments
> that aren't automatically displayed or previewed.

That is a problem with some MUAs. Some are just plain bad at rendering
messages with message/rfc822 subparts like the DMARC wrapped messages
and MIME format digests.

> It looks like Outlook 2007 users can turn previewing on, but I don't
> see any such options for Squirrelmail.

There probably aren't any in Squirrelmail.

> How have other Mailman admins dealt with this?

Ultimately, I relented and set dmarc_moderation_action to Munge From. I
didn't want to, but there were too many complaints about the wrapped
messages. If I understand correctly, you at least think that AOL doesn't
like your messages with munged from because of the address in Reply-To:.
Note that the AOL SMTP response you posted earlier was a 421 status that
is a retryable error. Did the retry succeed. If so, this is more like
greylisting than rejection.

> I wonder if it's possible to to make wrapped messages a user preference,
> or have them only turned on for certain domains as discussed previously.
> Is this a patch that would be accepted in the future?

Mailman 2.1.18-1 has the ability to only apply DMARC mitigations to
messages From: domains that publish DMARC p=reject and optionally
p=quarantine policies. But, I think what you mean by "certain domains"
is messages To: a certain domain like aol.com, and Mailman doesn't do
that. It wouldn't be too difficult to patch Mailman to do that, but I
have no plan to do that.

There is no plan to make the choice between wrapping vs. munging From: a
user option, but it could be considered for a future release.

The bottom line is DMARC forces choices on a list manager, none of which
are totally transparent to the list user experience.

You can always set dmarc_moderation_action to reject and provide a
rejection message which tells the poster that posts from domains with
DMARC p=reject (or quarantine) policies are not accepted and they need
to find another freemail ESP to use for posting.

On the other hand, As I posted before, I don't see that your issue with
AOL is a DMARC issue at all.