[Mailman-Users] Strange rejection

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Oct 25 17:36:37 CEST 2014

On 10/24/2014 11:17 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> The vette logfile just says:
>
> Oct 24 23:15:30 2014 (2180) Message discarded, msgid: <1414210524.38839.9.camel at pudina.fmp.com>

Some handler in the pipeline is discarding the message. More below.

> Is there any way to turn on more thorough debugging, or tracebacks if
> there are hidden code glitches?

At some point I augmented he vette logging for rejects to include the
name of the handler and the reject reason. I jhought I had done
something similar for discards, but I didn't.

> What could be causing this?  I'm
> Python-literate and can read tracebacks and poke diagnostic code into
> Mailman modules if someone can point me in the right direction to get to
> the bottom of this.  I've got half a dozen or so lists to move so I have
> to get this solved.

In Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py, in the _dopipeline() method look at
the code for the except Errors.DiscardMessage: clause
 and the except Errors.RejectMessage, e: clause. Augment the syslog
message in except Errors.DiscardMessage: similarly to that in except
Errors.RejectMessage, e:, except there is no 'e' in the discard case so
you can't include the 'reason:' part.

Note that the only standard handlers that discard messages are

MimeDel: Content filtering -> filter_action = Discard
Moderate: Privacy options... -> Sender filters ->
      member_moderation_action
      dmarc_moderation_action
      discard_these_nonmembers
      generic_nonmember_action
Scrubber: if Non-digest options -> scrub_nondigest is Yes and
      mm_cfg.ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER = 0 and the outer message
      is text/html
SpamDetect: Privacy options... -> Spam filters -> header_filter_rules
          with discard action
      header matches something in mm_cfg.KNOWN_SPAMMERS

If you examine the above for Discard actions and maybe (temporarily)
change them to Hold, that may help.