[Mailman-Users] Strange rejection

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Sat Oct 25 08:17:18 CEST 2014

I'm moving mailing lists from one server to another using a couple of
scripts which I've used successfully many times before for other such
moves.  On the 3rd list I've moved (second domain name) I've run into a
very strange problem.  On trying to post to the list on the new server
my posts get delivered to the list and discarded with no further
explanation.  The vette logfile just says:

Oct 24 23:15:30 2014 (2180) Message discarded, msgid: <1414210524.38839.9.camel at pudina.fmp.com>

The Mailman version on the old system is 2.1.18, and 2.1.18-1 on the new
one.  The working environment is almost identical on both systems.  The
list configurations are completely identical. The two other lists which
I've already moved to the new location are working properly, as best I
can tell so far.  I'm subscribed to the list, which is an open
discussion list, added myself as a list moderator, and am on the
accept_these_nonmembers list (or not - it makes no difference) in case I
should get unsubscribed.

The only thing I see which _might_ make a difference is that the new
server is running Python 2.7.6 while the old one is running 2.7.3.

I backed out the move and posted to this problem list in its old
location, and the post went trough to the subscribers and the archive.
There are no other related entries in the Mailman log files - just
"Message discarded" in the vette file.

Is there any way to turn on more thorough debugging, or tracebacks if
there are hidden code glitches?  What could be causing this?  I'm
Python-literate and can read tracebacks and poke diagnostic code into
Mailman modules if someone can point me in the right direction to get to
the bottom of this.  I've got half a dozen or so lists to move so I have
to get this solved.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |