[Mailman-Users] Change Mailman URLs on Subscribe Response

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 24 23:06:05 CEST 2014

On 10/24/2014 08:20 AM, Greg Sims wrote:
> I created the following subscription webpage for list name devotion-chinese:

> After clicking "Submit", the user will be transferred to:
>
> http://lists.raystedman.org/mailman/subscribe/devotion-chinese
>
> I updated subscribe.html so I can control the content of this page.
>
> Is it possible for the user to be transferred to a URL that is under the
> control of our CMS?  Perhaps I could use a pattern for all of the URLs
> associated with this list like:
>
> http://www.raystedman.org/daily-devotions/devotion-chinese/*

It is possible, but it's not straightforward and it requires that your
web pages actually be scripts that invoke Mailman's CGIs, receive the
results and present them to the user.

For example, your page at
http://www.raystedman.org/daily-devotions/chinese-subscription has a
subscribe form which posts the form data to
http://lists.raystedman.org/mailman/subscribe/devotion-chinese which is
the URL for Maiman's 'subscribe' CGI for the 'devotion-chinese' list.

You can make the part through 'mailman/' anything you want by setting
that as the list's web_page_url attribute (See the 'Background' and 'The
next step' sections at <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9>).

However, the next parts are always the name of the Mailman CGI
('subscribe' in this case) and the list name in that order.

So, briefly, what you could do is have your form post to a CGI or PHP or
whatever script of your own at say
http://www.raystedman.org/daily-devotions/devotion-chinese/subscribe.
That process in turn could post the data to
http://lists.raystedman.org/mailman/subscribe/devotion-chinese, receive
the results back and then present them to the user in your desired format.

Similar things can be done with the other 'list member' CGIs (confirm,
listinfo, options, private and roster). Presumably you wouldn't need to
do this for the list admin/moderator CGIs like admin, admindb, create,
edithtml and rmlist.

Note that you can't have Mailman generate URLs matching a pattern like

http://www.raystedman.org/daily-devotions/devotion-chinese/*

Although it could match a pattern like

http://www.raystedman.org/daily-devotions/*/devotion-chinese

i.e., the CGI name will always precede the list name. I suppose you
could give it a web_page_url like
http://www.raystedman.org/daily-devotions/devotion-chinese/ which would
result in URLs like, e.g.,
http://www.raystedman.org/daily-devotions/devotion-chinese/subscribe/devotion-chinese
with the first devotion-chinese being part of web_page_url and the
second being the actual list name.