[Mailman-Users] Customizing information required for subscription

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 21 18:15:42 CEST 2014

On 10/20/2014 02:34 PM, Charlene Ruell wrote:

> The plot thickens as we are operating the lists via cPanel, so I am unsure
> if the member add-on will work (thoughts?).

It depends on whether this is your own or a virtual private server or a
shared hosted server and what kind of access you have to it. If it is a
shared hosted server, you almost certainly won't be able to do or have
the host do any customization of Mailman.

Even if it is your own server and you have root access, customizing
cPanel Mailman can be tricky or at least different from standard Mailman.

> However, I am also curious if
> there is any way for our users to subscribe to multiple lists at once? We
> have (or will have) around 9 or 10 on the same server and a large number of
> users utilize multiple lists. I'm sure it is a long shot, but we would love
> to streamline our process.

Again, it depends on access. If you have enough access, creating your
own web subscribe process which invokes either the Mailman subscribe CGI
(multiple times, once per list) or the Mailman add_members script to do
the actual work is fairly straightforward. This could also collect the
additional info you want and store it somewhere outside of Mailman. See
the FAQs at <http://wiki.list.org/x/uIA9> and
<http://wiki.list.org/x/Z4A9> for more.