[Mailman-Users] How to set up equivalent domains

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Nov 24 02:06:17 CET 2014

On 11/23/2014 10:20 AM, Alain Williams wrote:

> I have some lists that wish to appear in 2 different domains. For various
> reasons the organisation has 2 names which is reflected in 2 different domain
> names.
>
> Eg so that mail sent to either of these addresses go to the same list:
>
> chat at domain_1.org
>
> chat at domain_2.org
>
> I am not really worried that the From: address be one or the other as long as
> mailman will accept the 2 as being the same.

Mailman will do its part just fine. To be squeeky clean, assume the
list's host_name (near the bottom of the General Options page) is
domain_1.org. You need to ensure that either Privacy options... ->
Recipient filters -> require_explicit_destination is No or that
chat at domain_2.org is included in acceptable_aliases to avoid posts to
chat at domain_2.org being held for 'Implicit Destination'.

Actually, it is deprecated and shouldn't be relied on, but as long as
the list name (chat) matches, you won't get an 'Implicit Destination'
hold even if require_explicit_destination is Yes.

> If mailman can't do it I could probably get exim to do some rewriting.

You still need to get exim to pipe the mail to Mailman, but you don't
need to rewrite any headers. If you have a 'standard' exim config for
Mailman, I think all you need is to ensure both domains are in the

domainlist mm_domains=

definition.