[Mailman-Users] Digest option for Yahoo and AOL subscribers?

Mark Rousell markr at signal100.com
Sun May 25 17:30:17 CEST 2014

(Not sent to list previously, apologies).

On 25/05/2014 01:00, Richard Damon wrote:
> The "problem" isn't DMARC, the problem is it's abuse by Yahoo and AOL.
> These are big players, and it isn't really practical for lists to just
> say they are breaking the rules so we won't let them play anymore. (If
> only for the old days of usenet where abusive servers were given the
> "death penalty" and they lost their connectivity for a while).

I t think your comments are compatible with DMARC being the
"interloper", as Stephen put it. DMARC (whether in general or in terms
of Yahoo's and AOL's use/misuse/abuse of it) is the interloper (i.e.
newcomer) that is in practice impacting pre-existing and legitimate
usage patterns.

I agree that the idea behind DMARC is a good one the reality is less good.

Whilst Yahoo and AOL are the ones who have chosen to use/misuse/abuse
DMARC in this way, it could also be said that DMARC (and all its backers
on its current form) are to blame precisely because DMARC *allows*
Yahoo's/AOL's behaviour. If the standard has been properly finished and
properly thought through from all angles then ways could surely have
been found to allow it to be used without harming existing,
standards-compliant behaviour. The consortium behind DMARC simply
weren't willing to wait or play along. It seems that some of them were
particularly desperate and were willing to harm interoperability.

--
Mark Rousell

PGP public key: http://www.signal100.com/markr/pgp
Key ID: C9C5C162