[Mailman-Users] Digest option for Yahoo and AOL subscribers?

Sun May 25 02:00:52 CEST 2014

On 5/24/14, 6:26 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Richard Damon writes:
>
>  > From what I have seen, any version of Mailman before 2.1.16 (and
>  > preferably 2.1.18) just isn't compatible with DMARC
>
> Please, it's the other way around! ;-)  DMARC is the interloper, and
> some insiders fear that this mess will derail progress to RFC status
> of the useful informational part of DMARC as well as the pernicious
> "p=reject" policy.

Actually, from my reading of the proposal for DMARC, it really isn't
that bad for what it is supposed to do. The BIG problem is that domains
using DMARC are really saying that the identity of the posters of their
emails are important, and that emails from this domain should be
verifiable to having come from that domain. This is great for things
like Banks and such. Any such domain should have in it TOS/AUP that
users are not to send messages that would break this check (I.e.
addresses are not to be used for things like mailing list, or 3rd party
mailings). Yahoo and AOL have no such rule, and in fact have in the past
even encouraged their use for mailing list.

The "problem" isn't DMARC, the problem is it's abuse by Yahoo and AOL.
These are big players, and it isn't really practical for lists to just
say they are breaking the rules so we won't let them play anymore. (If
only for the old days of usenet where abusive servers were given the
"death penalty" and they lost their connectivity for a while).

--
Richard Damon