[Mailman-Users] Get newer version of Mailman for Debian 6?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 15 09:32:30 CEST 2014

Sascha Rissel writes:
 > Hello there,
 >
 > I am running a vServer on Debian6.
 > Via "apt-get install mailman" I installed and set up Mailman 2.1.13, which
 > is running fine with 5 mailing lists on my server.
 >
 > Motivated by all those discussions about Yahoo's DMARC on this list, I
 > wondered whether I can upgrade my Mailman installation to a newer version.
 >
 > I tried "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" but I did not receive a
 > newer version of Mailman.

I think it's probably easier to use aptitude (or some other UI) rather
than apt-get.

A search at Debian (https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages)
shows that the current stable version of Debian (wheezy, aka Debian 7)
includes Mailman 2.1.15, which is too old to have any DMARC mitigation
features.  The current unstable version includes 2.1.16, which has
some early attempts at mitigating DMARC, but apparently 2.1.17 and
2.1.18 are not packaged at all.

 > Unfortunately I don't consider myself as good enough in Linux
 > usage,

In that case I think your best bet is to upgrade Debian to "stable"
(rather than a specific version of Debian).  Then when they release a
new stable version you will be automatically upgraded.  I personally
run "testing" (and have used "unstable" in the past), but it's been
many years since I bothered to fiddle with these settings.  You should
ask on Debian channels how to arrange to get the most recent Mailman
as soon as a package is released.

See also https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes for
information on upgrading for your hardware.