[Mailman-Users] DMARC and Reply-To lines with from_is_list munging.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 13 08:38:19 CEST 2014

On 05/12/2014 01:25 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> How about multipart/alternative:
>
>     message header
>     multipart/alternative
>
>         part header
>         message/rfc822        # original message in all its glory
>
>         part header
>         <traditional cooked list message>

Interesting idea, but I think the part order is reversed. The simplest,
most universally readable part is supposed to be first with parts of
increasing complexity coming later.

>  > Perhaps a new Content-Type such as message/wrapped
>
> AFAICS this is completely unnecessary?
>
>     message header
>
>         original message header
>         original message body        # or cooked if you prefer

Which is essentially what the Wrap Message action does now.

> Then amend the existing MIME RFCs to say that MUAs SHOULD (MAY?)
> simply display the original message in some appropriate way.  No?

I really wonder if that would help. Section 5.2 of RFC 2046 doesn't say
exactly that, but it does contain this note:

   NOTE:  It has been suggested that subtypes of "message" might be
   defined for forwarded or rejected messages.  However, forwarded and
   rejected messages can be handled as multipart messages in which the
   first part contains any control or descriptive information, and a
   second part, of type "message/rfc822", is the forwarded or rejected
   message.  Composing rejection and forwarding messages in this manner
   will preserve the type information on the original message and allow
   it to be correctly presented to the recipient, and hence is strongly
   encouraged.

A couple of things are significant in that. It basically agrees with
Stephen that message/wrapped is unnecessary, but it also says the
message/rfc822 type "will preserve the type information on the original
message and allow it to be correctly presented to the recipient".

While this doesn't explicitly say MUAs SHOULD or MAY simply display the
original message in some appropriate way, it certainly conveys that
sentiment to me, yet here we are over 17 years later with apparently
some mainstream MUAs that don't do that.