[Mailman-Users] DMARC and Reply-To lines with from_is_list munging.

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Sat May 10 23:07:23 CEST 2014

> On 11 May 2014, at 12:39 am, "Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
>> On 05/10/2014 01:48 AM, Peter Shute wrote:
>>
>> Could somebody please explain this wrapping that's been mentioned a lot? Is this something like "forward as attachment"?
>

> It's exactly like forward as attachment.

Thanks for clarifying that. Someone pointed out that their iPhone handles it ok, but that it's an extra step to open the wrapped message. Same on my iPad, but the wrapped message then opens in an iPhone sized window. Better than nothing, but very inconvenient for long messages.

Outlook handles it ok once you open the attached message, but I had an unfortunate experience with one of these. A moderator forwarded a moderation alert to a separate moderators' list for discussion among moderators. I open the attached list message, then forgot there'd been that extra step and did a Reply All with a moderation comment querying the sender's motives, which then went to the main list instead of the moderators. I spent the rest of the evening explaining myself.

I think there's too much room for similar kinds of confusion with wrapping. I'd rather use  forwarding as a quoted message, with an explanation at the top. This is what we're doing manually for our Yahoo and AOL users now, and people seem ok with it.

Peter Shute