[Mailman-Users] Trouble changing web_page_url

Richard richard at KarmannGhia.org
Wed Mar 5 20:21:13 CET 2014

Earlier, I wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> My system that serves both email and mailman sits behind a firewall. Email
> gets forwarded on by a gateway / firewall, and web access comes from a
> different server machine that sits on the boundary - has access to both
> networks, internal and external - and users get to mailman's web features
> through use of an Apache mechanism I can't quite recite to you now. If the
> user has the correct URL, everything works fine, but the automatically
> generated web pages and text at header / footer of emails is wrong, and, in
> particular that of welcome messages for new people.

Please note that this is a particular problem for accessing attachments
from the archive - the URL is just plain wrong. This is a big deal...

> I have a list I'd like to update and fix this (more than one, possibly, if I
> get this figured out!) but recreating it with proper attributes won't be easy
> as it has a bit of archive to it already. So, I thought I'd simply dump the
> config, edit the output file and re-import the change, but it won't take. On
> reloading, it always says, "Non-standard property restored: web_page_url".
> And, indeed, the parameter is NOT changed. Damn.
>
> So, I know about the wonderful tools available here:
> http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/ I looked and found "set_attributes". Great!
> But while it spits out a few happy looking lines of text and appears to work
> at first, it returns the same error:
>
> $ ./set_attributes "web_page_url = 'http://MyDomain.com/mailman/'" myList
> attribute "web_page_url" changed
> Non-standard property restored: web_page_url
> $

For what it's worth, I also tried about every version of what a URL might
look like - removing 'http://", including on the domain name, etc -
nothing sticks.    Frustrating!