[Mailman-Users] A DMARC munging issue ... ?

Mark Rousell markr at signal100.com
Fri Jun 27 03:50:38 CEST 2014

On 27/06/2014 00:54, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Mark Rousell writes:
>
>  > On 26/06/2014 09:22, Malcolm Austen wrote:
>  > > (I note that neither yahoo.co.uk nor aol.co.uk have published a DMARC
>  > > policy.)
>  >
>  > As a relevant aside, AOL in the UK was sold to TalkTalk a couple of
>  > years ago so is independent of AOL in the USA.
>
> yahoo.com says the same thing ("independent") about yahoo.co.jp (which
> is definitely in use, but -- much to my amusement -- seriously
> decreased since mid-April).  Evidently they do make their own
> decisions about things like "p=reject" but I find it hard to believe
> they're fully independent.  AOL OTOH never managed to achieve a
> presence in Japan at all, although it appears they still own aol.co.jp
> domain.
>
> Both AOL sites are in use and use the AOL look and feel.

Yup, AOL continues to provide web properties in its own name in the UK.
Nevertheless, the sale of AOL UK's ISP operations to TalkTalk was/is
definitely a real sale. It seems unlikely to me that AOL in the USA
would have any say now in TalkTalk's/AOL UK's ISP mail operations.

A news articles from 2006 when the deal was done:
http://news.techworld.com/mobile-wireless/7076/troubled-talktalk-buys-aol-uk/

The TalkTalk Wikipedia article also mentions it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TalkTalk_Group

--
Mark Rousell

PGP public key: http://www.signal100.com/markr/pgp