[Mailman-Users] unable to access admin interface

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jul 22 05:29:18 CEST 2014

Chad Rebuck writes:

 > I'm not able to access the admin interface.  I don't reach the page
 > where I can enter my admin password.  The mailman error log doesn't
 > show anything.
 >  I'm running mailman 2.1.18-1.
 >
 > This message appears:
 >
 > Gateway Timeout
 >
 > The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or
 > application.

This error doesn't indicate a Mailman problem, but rather a network or
webserver problem.  A timeout indicates that the gateway couldn't
contact the webserver at all (which is not part of Mailman, but a
completely separate package).  To check:

1.  Are you using the correct URL (including port; maybe your Mailman
    is configured to use https: rather than http: or something like
    that)?
2.  Is there a webserver running on the Mailman host?
3.  Is it listening to the port you're using (probably 80 = http, but
    possibly 443 = https or even something else)?
4.  Is there a firewall protecting port 80 (or 443 if you're using
    https: URLs) between your gateway (proxy server) and the Mailman
    host?
5.  If there is a webserver running, check that it it configured to
    provide CGI services (lack of CGI should not result in a network
    timeout, but rather a 404 No Such Page from the webserver, or
    perhaps a permission failure error -- but you never know).  Still,
    I'd bet on #2 or #3 here.

HTH

Steve