[Mailman-Users] mhonarc patch

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 18 21:36:54 CEST 2014

On 07/18/2014 11:20 AM, Peter Knowles wrote:

> When I run the other patches, it'd report something like "Hunk #1
> succeed at 12 (offset -1 lines).", compared to when I ran your patch (as
> directed above) it only spits out "patching file Mailman/Mailbox.py"
> with no indication whether it was successful or not.
>
> My question regarding this is, is this simply due to the way your patch
> was written, or does the "Hunk #X succeeded" message get generated by
> the "patch" program?

patch issues messages such as the one you quote when there is some
discrepancy between the file being patched and the patch itself, but the
discrepancy (in the above case a shift of 1 line) is minor enough that
patch can figure out what do do. Also, in those cases, patch will create
an xxx.orig file with the original, unpatched content so you can examine
the diff between the original and the patched file if you wish to see
that patch really did what you wanted.

If there is no discrepancy, patch just applies the patch and doesn't
issue any further messages.