[Mailman-Users] Sub. Invitation digest option

Fred H Olson fholson at cohousing.org
Tue Feb 11 21:40:44 CET 2014

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 Mark Sapiro wrote

>What Mailman version is this? Could it be Mailman 2.0.x? My confirmation
>page looks like <http://www.msapiro.net/Confirmation_page.png>, and I
>think it has looked more or less like that since the beginning of 2.1.

I wrote to my isp where the Mailman I use runs and got the explanation
below:

>We're using the current 2.1 series, so that's not the cause of what
>you're seeing.
>
>Rather, this is our fault: we've always had a custom "patch" to Mailman
>that suppressed the digest option on the confirmation page, because in
>the very early years of our service, customers told us it was "too
>confusing".

Their full reply is below including discussion of tradeoffs.
I continue to be more pleased with their support than I have been with
any other service I can think of.

Sorry for the confusion.

Fred

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 13:26:52
From: Tiger Technologies <support at tigertech.net>

Fred H Olson <fholson at cohousing.org> wrote:

>I have not been able to find the current Mailman version number
>installed at Tigertech.

Thank you for writing! We're sorry to hear you're having trouble.

We're using the current 2.1 series, so that's not the cause of what
you're seeing.

Rather, this is our fault: we've always had a custom "patch" to Mailman
that suppressed the digest option on the confirmation page, because in
the very early years of our service, customers told us it was "too
confusing".

Specifically, customers complained that if we were going to force people
to confirm their subscriptions, we needed to make it as simple as
possible, with no options, for subscribers who "don't know what they're
doing".

So that's why it's like that. We haven't received any complaints about
the omission of that option before.

We'd be hesitant to add it back in globally, both because of the
potential complaints about "more complicated subscriptions", and because
(to be self-serving) we don't like digest mode much: when people use it,
they often complain to us about exactly the kind of thing you were
mentioning in the thread (in particular, poor quoting and incorrect
subject line in replies). In these days of easy filtering into folders
of mail programs, digest mode seems like something of an anachronism.

But all that said, I can certainly understand how someone would disagree
with this. Let us know if you feel strongly about it, and we'll see if
we can come up with some solution that allows it to work for specific
lists.

And of course, we also apologize for the frustration this caused you. We
can see that it would be very puzzling....

--
Robert Mathews, Tiger Technologies